Local People Saving Local Lives

Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Komen was founded by Nancy G. Brinker, who promised her sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would end the disease that claimed Suzy’s life. Komen Charlotte is working to better the lives of those facing breast cancer in the local community. Through events like the Komen Charlotte Race for the Cure® and Laugh for the Cure®, Komen Charlotte has invested more than $16 million in community breast health programs in our 13-county service area and has contributed over $6 million to the more than $800 million invested globally in research.

Our Community Grants program is designed to make systemic, lasting change in our community. We are proud to have invested more than $16 million locally since 1997. Our funding cycle runs from April 1 – March 31 every year.  Click here for more information on our Community Grants program.

The positive impact of this funding is significant, but it is not enough – as the need in our community continues to grow.

7525png

 

75 percent of net proceeds raised locally are distributed to fund local community health programs in our 13-county service area.  The other 25 percent is contributed to the Susan G. Komen Research Programs.

Komen Charlotte is the local source for funding breast cancer detection, support and educational awareness in Charlotte region.  Through its 2016-2017 community grants, Komen Charlotte is investing more than $905,000 in education, diagnosis, treatment support programs provided by 17 local organizations that serve uninsured or underinsured residents in our service area.

Learn about the organizations helping our community through Komen Charlotte funded programs, click here.

The remaining 25 percent of net funds were invested in the Susan G. Komen Research Fund managed at the national level. To learn more about Susan G. Komen’s research investment, click here. In 2017, Komen Charlotte was fortunate to be able to invest more than $330,000 solely toward breast cancer research.

Map-Only