What is Pink Sunday?
Pink Sunday is a free breast health education event that will take place on Sunday, April 28, 2019. The purpose of Pink Sunday is to educate and promote breast health awareness, early detection and address health disparities among faith-based organizations in our local communities.
Pink Sunday aims to address specific breast health disparities such as:
- African American women having a higher incidence rate of breast cancer before age 45 and being most likely to die from breast cancer compared to other ethnic groups.
- More African American women being diagnosed with late-stage breast cancer compared to other populations.
- African American women being most likely to develop Triple Negative Breast Cancer; an aggressive type of breast cancer with limited treatment options.
Who Celebrates Pink Sunday?
All faith-based organizations are welcomed within Komen Charlotte’s 13-county service area: Anson, Cabarrus, Cleveland, Gaston, Iredell, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, Montgomery, Richmond, Rowan, Stanly, Union, and York, SC.
How to Participate in Pink Sunday 2019:
1. Register Early! Please register your organization by the deadline of March 15, 2019 to ensure you receive the requested amount of educational materials. If your organization cannot participate on April 28, you can participate on a different date by contacting Mary Hamrick, Outreach Programs Manager.
Note: If registering more than one church, please call Komen Charlotte (704-347-8181) or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
2. Choose your free education materials! You may request Pink Sunday fans OR Pink Sunday bookmarks for your congregation. [You will select your material request and enter quantities during the registration process.]
In addition to the fan or bookmark, each organization will receive a Pink Sunday Resource Guide which includes a sample script, bulletin board slides, and other breast health resources.
3. Celebrate! Each church may celebrate Pink Sunday in their own way! For ideas on how to celebrate Pink Sunday 2019, click here.
4. Enter to win a gift card! After you celebrate Pink Sunday, complete the Pink Sunday survey to help us improve for 2020! Once you complete the survey, you will be entered to win a gift card for your participation. We will send out more information about the survey in May.
OR download a Pink Sunday Registration form here.
If your organization is predominantly Spanish speaking, you may register for Domingo Rosado by clicking here. Para español registre aqui (Domingo Rosado).
Don’t forget your PINK bows! Looking for a way to “pink” out your church? We’ve got the perfect solution! Purchase Komen Charlotte pink bows to decorate, and 100% of proceeds benefit Komen Charlotte’s mission. For more information on the bows, click here.
Questions? We’re here to help!
If you have questions about Pink Sunday, please call or email Mary Hamrick, Outreach Programs Manager at 704-347-8181.
Thank you to our sponsors and all faith-based organizations who participate in Pink Sunday! Your commitment to breast health education and awareness will continue to help save lives.